As Executive Vice President of Strategy at SHIFT Communications, Scott contributes to the firm's thought leadership while developing new agency services, offering strategic counsel to clients, publicly representing SHIFT at events, and widening the firm’s partnership opportunities.
From 2008-2014, Scott headed the social media function at Ford Motor Company and held the title Global Digital and Multimedia Communications Manager. He advised on social media activities across the company, from blogger relations to marketing support, customer service to internal communications and more. Prior to joining Ford, Scott served as Consigliere for crayon and spent a number of years with PJA Advertising + Marketing, a boutique BtoB agency specializing in health sciences and high tech.
[The Economist Intelligence Unit profile of Monty.]
In addition to his professional responsibilities, Scott is an active blogger and podcaster. He writes about issues in communications, advertising, marketing, technology and leadership at ScottMonty.com and also writes and cohosts I Hear of Sherlock Everywhere, a news site dedicated to Sherlock Holmes.
Scott has been featured in hundreds of news and business publications in print and on the web, in dozens of books, and on a variety of mainstream media, including Bloomberg, NBC, NPR, CNN, The Wall Street Journal and more. Scott is a recognized thought leader in the communications and marketing industry and frequently speaks at events.
Scott received his Master's in Medical Science from Boston University's School of Medicine concurrently with his MBA from BU's Graduate School of Management. He lives in the greater Detroit area with his wife and three children, golfs all too infrequently, and has a hidden talent for voice over work.
Oh, and one last little-known fact: Scott coined the Oxford Dictionary of English-accepted term "tweetup."
Books in which Scott or his work is featured:
- The Social Media Strategist by Christopher Barger
- Social Business by Design by Peter Kim
- Digital Strategies for Powerful Corporate Communications by Paul Argenti
- Social Media Marketing for Dummies by Shiv Singh
- Real-Time Marketing and PR: How to Instantly Engage Your Market, Connect with Customers, and Create Products that Grow Your Business Now by David Meerman Scott
- Engage: The Complete Guide for Brands and Businesses to Build, Cultivate, and Measure Success in the New Web by Brian Solis
- Empowered: Unleash Your Employees, Energize Your Customers, and Transform Your Business by Josh Bernoff
- Brains on Fire: Igniting Powerful, Sustainable, Word of Mouth
- Movements by Robbin Phillips, Greg Cordell, Geno Church, and Spike Jones
- Open Leadership: How Social Technology Can Transform the Way You Lead by Charlene Li
- MicroMarketing: Get Big Results by Thinking and Acting Small by Greg Verdino
- Spend Shift: How the Post-Crisis Values Revolution Is Changing the Way We Buy, Sell and Live by John Gerzema and Michael D'Antonio
- Power Friending: Demystifying Social Media to Grow Your Business by Amber Mac
- The New Rules of Marketing & PR by David Meerman Scott
- Twitterville by Shel Israel
- Six Pixels of Separation by Mitch Joel
- Monkeys with Typewriters by Jemima Gibbons
- Read This First by Ron Ploof
- World Wide Rave by David Meerman Scott
- Get Seen by Steve Garfield
- Board Member At-Large, American Marketing Association (2014-2017)
- Board of Trustees of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra
- Advisor to RPM Ventures
- Member of the editorial board of the Journal of Digital & Social Media Marketing
- Judge, Content Marketing Awards
- Board of the Social Media Advertising Consortium
- Named to the Advisory boards of Pivot, SavvyAuntie, Business Smart Tools, The Hive Awards,
- Named one of iMedia's 25 Top Internet Marketing Leaders & Innovators
- No animals were harmed in the making of this blog.